Go for our turnkey cast floor package and get all the materials for the floor system right away.
Preparation of substrate
✔ Sander or angle grinder with diamond bowl
✔ Construction vacuum cleaner
Application of primer and PU screed
✔ Gloves (1 pair per layer)
✔ Mixing bucket (1 per layer)
✔ Mixing rod
✔ Drill or mixer
✔ Brush (1 per layer)
Nylon roller for epoxy primer
✔ S moothing trowel and/or tooth trowel
PU roller for PU topcoat
✔ Roll bar
✔ Optional: does it involve a large space? Then use a floor squeegee to distribute the primer
✔ Optional: jean shoes leave a minimal imprint on the PU screed.
We recommend applying the PU cast floor with 2 people.
Before you get started with the application of a PU cast floor, you need to make the following preparations:
Check the packaging
The primer and equalizer consist of 1 component. Read through the text on the can and check the item number to see if the name matches the contents.
Check the substrate
Before you begin, the substrate must meet the following 4 conditions:
1. The subfloor must be (chemically) cured
For every inch that a new subfloor is thick, you should count 1 week of drying time.
2. The subfloor must be dry
The maximum moisture content depends on the type of substrate:
✔ Concrete: <4%
✔ Sand Cement: <2.5%
✔ Gypsum-bound: <0.5%
You can promote the drying process of an anhydrite subfloor by sanding off the andhydrite skin.
Do you have an underfloor heating system? Then follow the stoking protocol.
3. The subfloor must be level
Damage to the subfloor should be repaired and paint and glue residues sanded away. We recommend the following products for this purpose:
4. The substrate must be clean and grease-free
In order for the living concrete to adhere, the substrate must be grease-free.
✔ Grease and oil spots: sprinkle cat litter on these. These suck up the fat.
✔ Stubborn stains: use POWER cleaner and/or ammonia.
✔ Dust and dirt: with a vacuum cleaner and a soft broom, make the floor dust-free.
✔ Cement slurry: the substrate may still have a so-called cement slurry. Remove these with a diamond sander.
Conditions for the environment
The conditions in which you process the living concrete must be optimal in connection with the shelf life and reaction of the materials. Therefore, please consider the following:
The right temperature:
✔ Minimum: 15 °C
✔ Maximum: 30 °C
✔ Optimum: 20 °C
✔ About 80%
Set up a separate workspace
Create a separate work area, preferably outside the space where you will be applying living concrete. Cover the floor with a tarp or stucco pad so you can work cleanly. This is to prevent you from spilling loose components onto the subfloor.
Are there walls, table legs or other objects that should not have living concrete on them? Then tape these off.
Divide the space
Make a plan of action and divide the space in your mind according to the amount of material in the cans. In fact, the content is suitable for a limited number of square meters. That way you know how thick to apply the equalizer.
Get everything ready
Have you checked off the checklist? Prepare all materials and tools. Are you working with two people? Then divide the tasks.
Application of a PU self-levelling floor
You can apply the next coat after 18 hours and within 36 hours.
Is it later than 36 hours? Then sand the floor in between.
Count 1 day per layer.
Day 1: Apply the primer layer
1. Mix components separately with a mixing rod. Is the product in a jerry can? Then shake these.
2. Pour component A + B together and mix for 3 minutes.
3. Transfer everything to a clean bucket, mix again for 1 minute.
4. Start applying the primer coat at the edges. Do this with a brush or small roller.
5. Pour the primer in strips and then roll it out.
6. Next coat: after 18 hours and within 36 hours.
NB! The processing time for the materials is about 20 minutes!
Day 2: Apply the scraper coat
7. Mix components separately with a mixing rod.
8. Pour component A + B together and mix for 3 minutes.
9. Transfer everything to a clean bucket, mix again for 1 minute.
10. Pour some of the scraper coat onto the floor and spread it with a flat-top trowel or dental trowel. Make large strokes in the shape of crescents.
11. Distribute 1 kilogram of scraper coat per square meter in this manner.
12. Next coat: after 18 hours and within 36 hours.
Day 3: Apply the PU self-levelling floor*.
13. Mix components separately with a mixing rod.
14. Pour component A + B together and mix for 3 minutes.
15. Transfer everything to a clean bucket, mix well again for a few minutes along the edges and over the bottom.
16. Pour some of the PU screed onto the floor and spread it with a flat trowel or dental trowel. Make large strokes in the shape of crescents.
17. In this way, distribute 3 kilos of PU screed per square meter.
18. Next coat: after 18 hours and within 36 hours.
It is very important to mix the PU screed well with a mixer!
*A PU cast floor with concrete look
Have you chosen a concrete-look cast floor? Then follow the step-by-step plan below on Day 3:
13. Mix colors separately with a mixing rod.
14. Pour colors A + B each into a clean bucket, again mixing well for several minutes along the edges and over the bottom.
15. Working with two people, pour color A + B at a time into a large clean bucket.
16. Stir gently with a wooden rod so that the two colors blend together. The longer you mix, the more even the color (and the less the effect of a concrete look). Please note that the result is always unique.
17. Pour some of the concrete look PU screed onto the floor and spread it with a smoothing trowel. Make large strokes in the shape of crescents.
18. In this way, distribute 3 kilos of PU screed per square meter.
19. Next coat: after 18 hours and within 36 hours.
Day 4: Apply the PU topcoat
19. Mix components separately with a mixing rod.
20. Pour component A + B together and mix for 3 minutes.
21. Transfer everything to a clean bucket, mix again for 1 minute.
22. Start applying the topcoat at the edges. Do this with a brush or small roller.
23. Pour the remaining material into strips. Roll out crosswise for even results.
Temperature – Light load – Full load
15 °C – 3 days – 10 days
20 °C – 2 days – 7 days
Go to the Epoxywinkel.com website for complete cleaning advice. You can also order special cleaning products from us.
Do you have questions about the PU cast floor (with concrete look)? Please refer to the product information sheets on our site or go to our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Can’t find an answer to your question? Then get in touch with us. The experts at Epoxywinkel.nl are ready for you!
Because our products are mostly applied under conditions beyond our control, the application of paint products is always your own responsibility. Our advice regarding application is given to the best of our knowledge and is considered to be only non-binding instructions. We cannot guarantee more than the quality of the product itself.
We deem that the application/processing of the products ordered by you, is carried out by or under the guidance of a professional/experienced expert and that the person makes himself acquainted with our manual and MSDS.